The Town of West Springfield is seeking a qualified individual for the full-time position of Public Health Nurse Administrator. This is a 40 hour position in the West Springfield Professional Association.
Duties and Responsibilities are as follows:
● Develop, plan and administer the public health nursing program for the Town of West Springfield.
● Organizes and conducts communicable disease immunization and screening clinics such as Tuberculosis (TB) or influenza in accordance with State regulations; refers positive tests to regional TB clinic as necessary and conducts surveillance as required.
● Conducts investigations and community education and screening clinics for high, at-risk population including elderly and school age population.
● Conducts at-home or in-hospital visits to monitor a client’s physical and/or mental health issues.
● Maintains detailed, accurate and confidential records regarding nursing activities and related client records in support of billing services.
● Provides support to Town animal control and environmental health personnel as requested.
● Must maintain Registered Nurse License, and other certifications, through continuing education credits.
● Reports communicable diseases to the MDPH through surveillance, case reports and control using appropriate electronic databases and other means as necessary.
● Collects and submits specimens to the State Laboratory for outbreak control.
● Maintains health records for immunizations, tuberculosis, physician’s orders and communicable diseases in accordance with State Law.
● Must remain current with emerging infectious diseases and trends in care and management of communicable and chronic diseases.
● Investigates reported cases of child abuse/neglect and files appropriate reports in accordance with State Law.
● Serves as an alternate member of the Local Emergency Planning Committee and the Hampden County Health Coalition in the absence of the Director.
● Reviews residential camp applications and inspects camp health records, in the office or on site, in accordance with State law.
● Performs surveillance and data collection of all reportable communicable diseases in the Town.
● Maintains statistical data demonstrating the health of the Town of West Springfield for the purpose of education, prevention and intervention.
● Develops educational documents or programs to address health topics of concern within the Town or region including, but not limited to, chronic disease management.
● Conducts educational programs in person or via electronic means as appropriate and necessary. Electronic means may include the use of social media platforms (in compliance with Town and department policies).
● Prepares monthly and end of the year report and summary for inclusion in the Department’s annual report..
● Reviews body artist applications for compliance with local regulations. Interviews applicants as needed. Approves or denies same as appropriate.
● Inspects, with or without the Director, body art establishments for compliance with local regulations.
● Collaborates effectively with the Council on Aging, the CARE Coalition, the School department and other state and local agencies on a variety of public health matters.
● Is an active member of the CARE Coalition and participates in other regional public health and nursing organizations.
● Provides minor nursing services to town employees as needed and as requested.
● Provides emergency nursing services to anyone who may be injured in or around the office location while awaiting EMS response.
● Is an essential part of the town’s public health emergency response team; particularly with regard to emergency dispensing sites,closed points of dispensing, and the implementation and management of cooling/heating centers or shelters.
● Responds to or participates in local, state or federal emergency response drills and exercises.
● Respond to or conduct any of the above listed duties outside of normal working hours.
Education and Experience: Registered Nurse License with five to seven (5-7) years related work experience in community or home care preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Registered Nurse License (Legally able to work as an RN in Massachusetts)
Valid Motor Vehicle Driver’s License
CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification
Bloodborne Pathogens Certification
ICS 100, 200 and 300
Qualified candidates can apply at the link below: